Chuck Jung Associates is pleased to offer Pro Bono/No Cost Counselling for individuals with TBI and their family members.
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a complex and challenging condition for any individual. A TBI could be caused by:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Brain infections
- Near drownings
- Toxic chemical exposure
Following a brain injury, people with TBI could experience changes in many areas in their lives. Depending on the site of brain injuries, they may experience difficulties in different domains, such as:
- Cognitive symptoms – memory loss, problems with concentrations, attentional deficit, decision-making difficulty, speech impairment, repeating things,
- Physical symptoms – headache, neck/back pain, sleep disturbances, fatigue, seizure, etc.
- Psychological symptoms – anxiety, depression, grief and loss, shame, anger outburst, irritability, impulsivity, emotional lability, decreased sex drive, etc.
- Interpersonal challenges – relationship disruption, vocational adjustment, etc.
These symptoms can significantly impact the mental health and emotional well-being of individuals with TBI. Quite often, care-providing family members of people with TBI also experience a high level of stress and trauma in coping with significant changes in their loved ones.
Individuals with TBI and their family members may benefit from counselling for their mental health.
- Counselling provide a safe and supportive environment to TBI patients or family members to express their feelings and concerns.
- Counselling could increase insights into the challenges of TBI patients or family members.
- Counselling could provide skill training and strategies to cope with different cognitive, behavioural, physical and/or emotional difficulties.
Many individual with TBI and their family members may not have adequate funding to seek needed counselling. Therefore, Chuck Jung Associates is please to announce our Pro Bono Counselling Services for eligible TBI patients in our Burnaby office, and in our Vancouver office starting in November 2020. The pro bono counselling services will be provided by senior doctoral psychology students, supervised by our registered psychologists (Dr. Iris Sharir, Dr. Laura Klubben, and Dr. Chuck Jung).
To qualify for the Pro Bono Counseling services:
- TBI clients should have a reasonable level of communication skills for counselling.
- Any ICBC or other insurance cases should have been settled or resolved in court two or more years ago.
- TBI clients or their family members should have no funding from ICBC, WCB or other insurance companies for treatment. (contact our office for other eligibility criteria)
Our program also accepts individuals struggling with prolonged concussive symptoms (i.e. post concussion syndrome).
In addition to individuals with TBI, our Pro-Bono/No Cost Counselling is also available to family members.
If you are interested in knowing more about our Pro-Bono/No Cost Counselling services or wish to make an appointment,
- Call our Vancouver Head Office at 604-874-6754, or
- Email us via our contact form, or
- Complete our information sheet and intake form (Please contact office for forms).